About the workshop
FEATURING THE NEW CURRICULUM - first teaching August 2023 / assessment May 2025
This workshop is recommended for experienced Diploma Programme (DP) biology teachers and those who have recently completed a category 1 workshop.
Practical work is an important feature of the DP biology course. This workshop supports you in the development of a balanced and practical scheme of work that provides opportunities to assess students using the sciences subject group internal assessment criteria. You will examine various student samples to develop a clear understanding of the application of the internal assessment criteria and the moderation process. Ways in which teachers can scaffold teaching and learning to prepare students for internal assessment will also be explored. The workshop is suitable for experienced teachers who wish to improve their practical schemes of work as well as teachers new to teaching biology in the DP.
Key contents and learning expectations:
- To review in detail the IB expectations concerning the practical programme and explore the relevance of a solid design of the practical programme and principles that should support it.
- To share teaching strategies that will support the development of skills needed for successfully completing a good quality individual investigation.
- To understand the moderation process and to compare standards of marking and moderation amongst delegates.
- To understand and how Approaches to Teaching and Learning (ATL) and ICT can support the IA.
- To understand the diverse range of possible individual investigation types.
- To debate when and how to schedule the IA.
- To exchange best practice and useful resources.
About your booking
Once you have made your booking, you will receive an automatically generated BOOKING ACKNOWLEDGEMENT and an invoice (or a receipted invoice if you have paid by credit card). Shortly after that, once we have processed your booking, you will receive an email from us with further information.
Once we have confirmed that the workshop will go ahead we will send you a confirmation email and an information pack which tells you everything that you need to know about joining your sessions. The links to join your sessions will be sent to you by email around 2 days before your sessions start.
If you have any queries regarding your booking, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org